Fall conference speakers listed

The list of speakers for the Fall Conference Oct. 23. We will post a complete schedule including times the week prior to the conference.

Untitled Document

Headline Details Speaker
10 Tools For Your Editing Toolbox Whether you’re a copy editor-in-chief, there are tools any editor can use o help produce the best possible yearbook, website, social media blast, video or newspaper. This session will focus on tools to successfully edit content and lead your staff. Vanessa Shelton, Quill and Scroll
15 for ‘15 Get Engaged-Fifteen things today’s online news staff should think about and do for 2015 — and beyond. Logan Aimone, School Newspapers Online
Audio Podcasting   Kyle Phillips, Cedar Rapids Washington HS
Better Yearbook Coverage Tell the WHOLE story — whether a traditional or chronological book, make a commitment to cover all students, clubs, organizations, sports and academics at your school. Make it a book everyone will want to buy. [Starting with the ladder, include as many activities as possible. Go to the advisers/coaches/teachers. Go to the students. Get the scoop from the participants AND the spectators. Then it’s all about presentation, presentation, presentation!] Donna Manfull, retired adviser and yearbook consultant
Beyond Old Media: Your Future in Journalism Journalism and media are evolving at light speed in the 21st Century, and many young people are wondering whether it’s a good career choice for them. With 10 years experience in journalism and 25 years in journalism education, Brian Steffen of Simpson College will show you why there have never been more opportunities in the profession and what you can do to best prepare yourself to take advantage of them. Brian Steffen, Simpson College
Building a Social Media Strategy This hands-on session will walk you through building a social media strategy for your publication. You’ll take a look at what you’re currently doing and use proven ideas to build a plan for the future. We will explore the idea of native content, as well as creating content that benefits your followers. The class is taught by Chris Snider, who teaches a social media strategy class at Drake University in Des Moines. Chris Snider, Drake University
Can We Report That? A high school principal is arrested for public intoxication; a school fight results in a death; a beloved teacher commits suicide; a student lights a tampon (??) on fire and throws it in a trashcan. Can you report these stories? You bet. Find out what you can cover in your publications (everything) and how you can do it (legally, bravely). This interactive, high-energy session will give you use-tomorrow strategies for writing about tough topics. Allison Berryhill, Atlantic High School adviser and Tyler J. Buller, Assistant Iowa Attorney General & Student-Press Advocate
Digital Tools and When You Use Them The digital area has afforded journalists a myriad of storytelling techniques. It is no longer just text. You have photos, videos, graphics, data, charts and maps to name a few. But with so many options, the modern journalist is often confronted by two questions. What is the best tool I can use to tell my story? And, Do I have enough time to get this done? I am here to show you some projects we have taken on at The Gazette. Some of the tools we used, and how to make the decision of what is the best way to tell your story in the shortest amount of time possible. Max Fruend, Interactive Media Journalist, The Gazette and KCRG
Dominating breaking news coverage How to keep calm when news breaks and use all of the tools, new and old, at your disposal to discover and dispense timely, accurate content that your audience craves – and how to think of the questions that lead to important follow-up stories. Lucas Grundmeier, Register Media
Dunk the deadlines Using your noodles, marbles & more to keep your staff energized and unified, participate in team building activities and share yours with all in attendance. Betty Christian Davenport North HS
Fun 101: How to Add More Punch and Pizazz to Your Publication Keynote Tim Harrower has educated journalists worldwide with workshops, training sessions and his two popular textbooks.
Get Engaged: Social Media Beyond Facebook, Twitter and Instagram Logan Aimone, School Newspapers Online
Green Screening Video for Broadcasts In this session you will learn how to use a green screen to create broadcasts or interviews that look like the pros. This method will use iPads and apps to create green screen video products. Gina Rogers, Grant Wood AEA
H(app)ening Publications This session will focus on apps (iOS and Android) that will enhance your readers’ experience. Additionally we will explore apps that will make journalism life easier. Two key parts of this session will be exploring apps that will help you take stunning photographs with a smartphone and including augmented reality technology to make your yearbook or newspaper come to life. Jim Straub, Morgan Adrian, Amanda Tillery and Brian Hempstead, Walsworth
How to Amaze Your Readers By Going Deep Seldom does telling people what they know excite them. But tell them something they didn’t know, or didn’t even think they could know. This workshop tells you how much readers like that, and how you can write those kinds of stories. Lyle Muller, IowaWatch.org
Iowa Overview: The Hawkeye Way Learn more about the opportunities that await you at the University of Iowa. The UI is a top 30 public university, offering over 200 areas of study in several highly ranked programs. Students at Iowa have access to the resources of a Big Ten institution while still receiving the individualized attention that comes along with the UI’s close-knit campus. In this presentation you’ll also hear from current students about how to get involved at Iowa and why it’s so great to be a Hawkeye! Univesity of Iowa Admissions
It’s the Democalypse! Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid You’ve just taken over the United States, and as its newest dictator, you have to decide how best to control your citizens. First things first, which First Amendment freedoms do you take away? You decide, then we’ll see how well you control the masses Mark Witherspoon, Iowa State University
Keeping Yearbooks Real Unlike newspapers that are read today and disposed, yearbooks are likely to be read more in the distant future than when first published. How can yearbooks be trendy and yet retain the core values that make them valuable in 20 years? [Good design, good photography, good writing NEVER go out of style.] Donna Manfull, retired adviser and yearbook consultant
Managing an Online First Newsroom Managing an Online First Newsroom-Don’t let your news website exist in the shadow of your print edition — a dynamic news website and an “online first” philosophy can transform and reinvigorate your coverage. We’ll cover managing workflow, collaboration, frequency of publication, student responsibilities, tracking and grading the work and dealing with school administration. Logan Aimone, School Newspapers Online
More Than a Story Learn to present information on the story page — beyond just the story text. See best practices for headlines, captions, graphics, images, audio and video. Discover new ways to deliver information to your online audience through embedded information and context. Logan Aimone, School Newspapers Online
Photojournalism   Liz Martin, Gazette Photojournalist-
Reporting-Before You Start Writing   J.R. Ogden, Gazette Sports Editor
Smart Phonography   David Scrivner, Iowa City Press Citizen photojournalist
Sports photography   Brian Ray, Hawkeye Sports Photographer
Tour Tour the University of Iowa School of Journalism & Dialy Iowan SJMC ambassadors
Using Social Media to Enhance School Publications Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and YouTube Joann Gage- Mt. Vernon HS
What is a producer? Broadcast-Tips and opportunities Charles Munro, University of Iowa
Why Choose a Journalism Degree in College?   David Ryfe, University of Iowa
Why Not Be Awesome? Is your publication missing the wow factor or interesting stories that get people talking? This session will go over how leading high school publications are producing great content and it isn’t that hard. #contentmatters Jonathan Rogers, City High, Iowa City
Writing for Non-Readers Are readers bored by all those dull 15-inch stories? Unfortunately, yes. Here’s how to make your publication more reader-friendly by rethinking and repackaging news and features into useful, interactive sidebars, fact boxes, checklists and other innovative chunks. And we’ll show how writers, editors, photographers and designers can collaborate more effectively. Tim Harrower has educated journalists worldwide with workshops, training sessions and his two popular textbooks.
Writing for yearbooks This isn’t a novel or a magazine. It’s a yearbook, and the writing for it needs to fit the purpose of a yearbook. Tell the story, make it accurate, get everyone involved — and make it fun so people will want to read it now and in years to come. [Would cover everything from beats to interviewing to surveys to writing styles to sidebars to captions, etc.] Donna Manfull, retired adviser and yearbook consultant
Panel discussions