IHSPA is honoring 19 upcoming graduates as Scholars for 2019.
IHSPA Scholar is an academic honor for the state’s top journalism students. It rewards them with a certificate, a pin to wear at graduation.
• Minimum 3 semesters of journalism in high school. The final semester of senior year can count toward those three semesters.
• Minimum 3.0 cumulative high school GPA at time of application.
• 5 hours of community service, approved by the adviser, in the spirit of journalists serving the communities in which they live. It is the adviser’s decision what counts as community service.
• A 500-word essay by the student explaining lessons they’ve learned as a high school journalist, to be submitted to IHSPA.
• The school attended by the nominee must be in good IHSPA membership standing. Students do not need to have declared a college journalism major to qualify.