On the spot contests for 2014

In addition to the great speakers we have on board for The IHSPA Fall Conference October 23, 2014 we also conduct our annual On-The-Spot Contests. These are state-level competition for academic honors. A victory here is a victory in the state of Iowa.
Students from your school may compete in the On-the-Spot competitions in:
News writing
Photography
Details:
You must attend to compete.
Multiple students from each school may enter each competition.
Contestants cover an assigned news presentation in the writing; these assignments will be designated in the conference brochure, which will be available upon arrival at the registration desk.
Digital photo contestants will cover the conference. Space is limited, so register early if you would like your students to participate in the On-the-Spot contests.
The fee for each contestant is $5.
Overview of News Writing Contest:
The contestants from your school should be prepared to take notes during the designated presentation. Dictionaries, electronic spell checkers, thesauruses and stylebooks are allowed. Bring notebooks, 8.5 x 11 sheets of lined paper for writing and blank sheets for drawing, pens for writing, or pencils for drawing.
Following the presentation, contestants proceed to the room indicated in the program brochure to write or draw, as if they were working for the school newspaper. Articles are handwritten and should be printed clearly so that judges can read them. Cartoons should be drawn on non-lined paper.
Overview of Digital Photography Contests:
The contestants from your school should be prepared to cover the conference photographically until the shooting deadline.
Entrants will meet contest supervisor at the conference desk and go to the Adler Journalism Building to select an download images.
Contestants will download three photos, using their own USB connector cable or SD card, to a computer provided by IHSPA, and submit a caption for each photo.

This is a photojournalism contest so no staging of the content or manipulating the content of the image in software.
Photos will be judged for:
1. Content
2. Creativity
3. Composition
4. Technical quality (sharpness & exposure), but not color correction or dodge/burn.