IHSPA

IHSPA Fall conference overview

Plan your day at the Fall 2018 conference. Here are two ways to view the conference day.

This table will give  you a view of the day. This version does not print well on all browsers.

Two page view of Conference

this view prints.

8:45- 9409:5010:40 to 11:2011:05 to 12:10
11:30 to 12:1012:10 to 1:15 1:20 to 2:002:05 to 2:30
Keynote - Brian RossTips on writing leads that pop, feature stories that matter, and staff editorials that will bring change to your school. - Jonathan Rogers, City HSFIRST Up: Creating your First Amendment action plan - The First Amendment protects our freedom of expression…or does it? Recent headlines and social media posts show that the First Amendment remains one of the most confusing and confounding areas of media and the law. In this fast-paced session, find out the top 5 things you need to know about the First Amendment. Then turn the talk into action by creating a First Amendment action plan for your school or community. - Julie Roosa, Iowa State University
Photography is the heartbeat of everything - yearbook, newspaper, web, portraits and in this session, we will begin with the basics and end with many ideas to take your photography to the next level. - Kyle Carter - Essex, Missouri. KC
65 minutes hands-on session - advance registration required
Beyond Basic Design - Re:Create , Re:Inspire, and Re:Influence with the latest in yearbook design trends from mods and stories to photos and numbers. - Walsworth
LunchAWE-INSPIRING YEARBOOKS - Pack your pages with original ideas that are sure to attract more readers. Using today's media and magazines, you and your staff will discover plenty of inspiration for your 2019 yearbook. Think outside the box as you revamp those ideas to fit your theme and your high school. Make your 2019 yearbook something that will captivate your readers! - Ginny Ordman, West HSClosing ceremony - Awards
Podcasting basics - This session will go over some basic formulas of putting together a podcast/radio show that your student body will enjoy, while not shying away from doing solid journalism and asking the tough questions. - Kyle Phillips, Washington HS adviserSports Journalism in the 21st Century - Tips on covering sports and the importance of the interview. - JR Ogden, The GazetteSocial Media Storytelling - In this hands-on workshop, students will brainstorm and create a "Story" for Instagram and/or Snapchat that promotes their school or publication. We will start with learning some storytelling basics, then storyboard and create. Students will need to bring something to write with and their phones (tablets will work too). You'll work in teams.
Advisers Meet - please join the dialog. We will talk about spring rule updates that are ready.

Students are on their own for lunch. We have list of suggestions.America Needs Journalists - What is the role of journalists in a democracy? Are we "the enemy of the people" or the cornerstone of democracy? This session could focus on understanding, explaining, and defending journalism in a culture that is often critical of our work. - Allison Berryhill, Atlantic HS
How to transform from newspaper to news magazine? -Johnston HS editors Andrew Maresca and Obsee AbbajabalLife as a Hawkeye - Thinking about what's after high school? This session will provide
you with more information about the next steps to start thinking about as college nears. We will cover information on life as a student at Iowa, academic offerings, the application process, housing opportunities, and how to prepare to pay for college.
How to shoot video that doesn’t suck - In this hands-on session you’ll learn the tricks pros use to make good video and then get out of the classroom and put those skills to use. Please bring video gear with you, whatever your typical shooting set up would be, cameras, tripods, microphones, ect. - Kelsey Kremer, Des Moines Register
So You Want to be a Journalist? The first steps on the path to journalism. - Molly Hunter, Daily IowanAdvisers have an award with lunch. Join us.Tagging to Build Your Street Cred - CJE and MJE certification can help you gain credibility with key stakeholders in your program and lead to professional advancement. Gary Lindsay, MJE, one of the two Journalism Education Association Mentors for Iowa will discuss why you should consider JEA Certification, how to earn it, and the benefits of certification for professional growth and advancement. Session meant for advisers only. - Gary Lindsay - JEA Mentor
SNO Therapy - Stop in at any point to talk shop with a SNO rep in person. Get the questions you have about your SNO Site answered before you forget them, inquire about starting a site with us or just wave hello. - Alex McNamee - SNODo It (Online) Like the Pros Do - Publishing content on your SNO site is the most basic skill you should know. Once you've mastered that, it's time to start thinking bigger. Learn how SNO's story templates can enhance your content to a professional level, and gather new story ideas that can bring those formats to life. - Alex McNamee - SNOUse Analytics to Get an Edge - So you don't know what to do to increase online readership. Google Analytics can tell you a lot about your audience. Learn your site's analytics in terms of what you're seeing, why it matters and how to apply it to grow your audience. - Alex McNamee - SNOTeaming Up to Tell Stories Through Video: Why write stories when you can show them instead? Capture the voices and actions of the school year to share online. This session will show you how to create award-winning documentaries on a budget, using only a camera, microphone, and a computer — and of course, your friends. We will talk about story topics, group roles, interviewing, editing, and publication of video documentaries. - Jo Ann Gage, Mount Vernon HS
Going Underground: The Ethics of Going Undercover - Jeff Browne, Quill & Scroll Gary Sawyer - I’M IN CHARGE. NOW WHAT: Leading a publication can be challenging for anyone. But there are some simple techniques to make your life easier, your publications better and your staff happier. As a veteran of 30 years managing publications, I’ll give you the tips necessary for a successful year.Truth, Light and the American Way: Democracy Depends on Us - Jeff Browne, Quill and Scroll
Check That: Fact-Checking for High School Publications - Jeff Browne, Quill and Scroll
Sports Broadcasting - Sports Broadcasting & Journalism - Steven Grace is the play-by-play announcer for the University of Iowa wrestling team, and has previously done play-by-play for high school and college football, basketball, baseball and softball. He will discuss some of the aspects of broadcasting which are benefitted by a journalism background. - Steven GraceWriting politically in
2018 This session will focus on the importance of citing credible sources in both news and opinion pieces, and talking about questions to ask before publishing a potentially controversial opinion column or blog post. - Stacy Haynes-Moore, Kennedy HS & Kyle Phllips, George Washington HS
Wrestling With Journalism - Cody Goodwin, a University of Iowa graduate who covers wrestling for the Des Moines Register, will talk about the ever-changing world of sports journalism, sports writing and the like. Come with questions, as he hopes to include you in the discussion as well. - Cody Goodwin, Des Moines Register Team Building and Recruiting - Learn techniques to search for great staff members, recruit them, and retain them. We can help build your staff, bond your staff and put the fun back in your publication room by getting your staff inspired and keeping them motivated. - Joelle Sexton, Herff Jones
Pans, Tilts, Sequences, Framing: Improve your videography in 45 minutes! - This is a intro workshop for making better videos. Students can use their phones or cameras to learn and practice five simple ways to improve their videos. - Allison Berryhill, Atlantic HSThe book only matters if people buy it. Don’t let those business-minded students pass on yearbook. Selling the book is everyone’s job, but it helps to have someone in charge. Follow our steps to stay on budget, promote the book and keep your class running like a business. - Joelle Sexton, Herff JonesLA to DC in 40 minutes - Looking for journalism opportunities that go beyond your school paper? Learn about out-of-state programs like the LA Times HS Insider, Free Spirit, and WJMC. Also, Skype with Pulitzer Prize winner/Washington Post reporter David Fahrenthold about the
ins and outs of working in the journalism industry. = Anjali Huynh, West Side Story Print Managing Editor and Copy Editor; Jenna Wang, West Side Story Editorials Editor
How to Bring Spark with Adobe Spark Digital Storytelling Apps. - Jonathan Rogers, City HS
Ever wondered how to finish your yearbook before Spring break, while still having fun in the process? Get some tips from Des Moines East High School's Quill yearbook editors as they finish their second deadline of the year. Bring your questions! - East HS PanelStudent Voices of the Iowa High School Press Association - A panel of students will tell their favorite stories of award winning stories and how they used their student voice in their high school publications. The editors will also answer questions from the audience. - Maya Durham, Pheobe Chapnick-Sorokin, Mira Kumar and Lottie Gidal Getting the story, even when a state legislator says you can't - Sophia
Schillinger and Sabine Martin, Cedar Falls HS
Sports^3 (Sports Cubed) -Using Twitter for all sports coverage? Learn some other platforms to diversify your coverage of events and broaden your audience. -Iowa City West Panel - Deniz Ince, West Side Story Print Editor-in-Chief; Kara Wagenknecht, West Side Story Online Editor-in-Chief; Ian Prescott, West Side Story Broadcast Editor-in-Chief -
Covering news that matters - It is time to revisit your definition of news and how it can inform but also provoke, challenge, and inspire. - Jack KennedyA conversation with Brian Ross as interviewed by Sarah Watson of the Daily Iowan
Tour Adler & DI - Meet in East LobbyYour 'defaults' need to be pushed - It is normal to rely on the strategies with which
we are familiar, but advisers, editors, reporters (even administrators) need to explore more options. - Jack Kennedy
Writing Contest - time to writeTour KRUI - Meet in East LobbyA Republican columnist in Iowa’s Democratic stronghold- Adam Sullivan is a columnist and editorial writer for The Gazette, covering state and local politics with a focus on conservative and libertarian perspectives. Adam is a life-long Iowan and previously worked as a news reporter, public relations manager, and political organizer. He has survived three Iowa caucus seasons as an adult – once as a voter, once as a journalist, and once as a campaign staffer.
The best camera is the one you have with you - aka the iPhone - Timing is everything and sometimes the means pulling out your iPhone to capture ‘the moment.’ The iPhone has become essential part of every journalist's digital tool box. Knowing how and when to use it will make you an essential member of any news gathering organization. - Todd Mizner, Moline Dispatch
Social Media Storytelling - In this hands-on workshop, students will brainstorm and create a "Story" for Instagram and/or Snapchat that promotes their school or publication. We will start with learning some storytelling basics, then storyboard and create. Students will need to bring something to write with and their phones (tablets will work too). You'll work in teams.
TV News is Storytelling - TV news is more than bland, boring facts coming from a face on a box in your living room. It’s about experiencing the world. Capturing sights, sounds and feelings. Then, telling that story to an audience. Come check out this 40 minute class to get a flavor for what TV news is capable of and why you should consider joining the ranks of storytellers.
- Forrest Saunders, KCRG TV9

• IHSPA Fall conference overview

Conference

Brian Ross to keynote IHSPA Fall Conference

• IHSPA Fall conference overview

Conference

Fall Conference highlights

• IHSPA Fall conference overview

Conference

Fall conference – Save the date

• IHSPA Fall conference overview

Conference

2017 Fall Conference Recap

• IHSPA Fall conference overview

Conference

2017 On-The-Spot Contest Winners

• IHSPA Fall conference overview

Conference

Yearbook 2017 results

• IHSPA Fall conference overview

Conference

Fall Conference 2017 – Day at a glance

• IHSPA Fall conference overview

Conference

It is time to register for IHSPA Fall Conference

• IHSPA Fall conference overview

Conference

2016 Fall Conference On-the-Spot winners

• IHSPA Fall conference overview

Conference

Conference schedule – October 27 – Register now

The official site of the Iowa High School Press Association
IHSPA Fall conference overview