Krisha Kapoor named 2023 Iowa Journalist of the Year

2023 Iowa Journalist of the Year Krisha Kapoor

Iowa City West’s Krisha Kapoor has been named Iowa’s High School Journalist of the Year. She earns $500 and will represent Iowa in the National Journalist of the Year contest. 

Kapoor serves as the print co-editor-in-chief of the school’s news magazine “West Side Story”. She also has posted more than 25 stories to wsspaper.com, the school’s student-run website.

The judging committee noted her plethora of skills from reporting and writing to making good photos and video, to audio and design. “Krisha demonstrates a firm grasp of what it takes to engage diverse audiences in modern-day journalism by knowing what a news story is and how to lead a newsroom staff to tell that story,” the committee said in its critique of her work. The committee also took note of her understanding of student press rights and responsibilities.

Kapoor helps lead a storied journalism program. The news magazine and website regularly earn Iowa Newspaper Team of the Year honors, Student Newspapers Online Best of Badges and the National Scholastic Press Association’s Pacemaker Award. In 2021, the magazine was one of 27 in the nation to be awarded the Pacemaker. Sara Whittaker advises both publications.

Runner-up honors and $300 went to Payton Strobel of Waukee Northwest. The judging committee noted her work in helping establish the new school’s journalism program. “Payton addresses positively the need to include diverse voices in the paper and shows solid organization skills. That’s a good thing because she has had to plant as editor-in-chief the seeds for the future of a new school’s newspaper, relying on the ideal, “People over Product.” 

Shobini Iyer of Pleasant Valley received third place and $200. The judging committee said this about her work. “It’s gratifying to see high school students continually embrace not just enjoyment but also the responsibility that goes with leading a school’s student newspapers.”

Zachary Pearlman of Wilton was named Honorable Mention.

The National JOY winner will be announced at the National Journalism Convention at the San Francisco Hilton at Union Square April 22. One winner will receive $3,000 and four runners-up $1,000.

View some of Kapoor’s work here.